Sunday, May 10, 2009

"Whoa, I am soooo dizzy..."

On Thursday, Bob - who can't hold his anesthesia (which leads me to believe he would have been a sloppy drunk - let's hear it for the Word of Wisdom!), had both knees scoped, a tear fixed, etc. The beauty which all should witness is his inability to recover without drama. The poor nurse had to listen to the drama of :
~whoa I am so dizzy
~make the room stop spinning
~can I spend the night
~and a few swear words interspersed (which Bob never swears...at home)
At one point the nurse looked at me and just rolled her eyes - I concurred and explained that he cries while watching Lifetime Original Movies too. I think that statement explained a lot to her.

So the first day home...getting him out of the car and up a few steps was a treat...he did well. I went upstairs at 9:30 and sat down on the bed. I told him I would be right back to help him up the stairs to go to bed. At 2:30 a.m. I woke and with a jerk and a holy crap! I ran downstairs to find him...he was nowhere...I really envisioned him loopy and wandering the streets in his underwear! I ran back upstairs to find him in Lars' bed. The conversation went like this..
"Bob?" The response was, "You are NOT a very good nurse!" Oh well, can't win 'em all. Yesterday we had a tree planting fest. Rocky Mountain Power made us take down 6 trees because they had the potential of growing too tall under the power lines. Long story short, we needed help. At 9:00 a.m. Lars, Chad, and Scott Mitchell promptly rose to the occassion and worked so hard digging holes, moving dirt, telling inappropriate jokes, until 1:00. I don't know how we could have done it without them! I weeded, mowed part of the front and the backyard too. I was stiff that night...long day.
Bob came out to watch and sat on a chair to be a part of it. Last night he came into the room worried that his knees were red and on fire. INFECTION? I laughed, pulled down his white knee highs, and showed him he had a nice sun burn! The patient is doing well, getting stronger, and kind of sad that he needs a total knee on the right...any takers on being the nurse for that one?






7 comments:

Jessie and Taylor Miller said...

Ouch! I hope Bob feels better soon! For both of your sake!
You are such a fun and witty writer and I love when you have a new post!
Hope you had a fantastic mothers day!!

Tara said...

Ya, I would probably hire out a nurse for the next surgery. It sounds like a miracle that he is even still alive. I hope Bobbie feels a lot better soon. Matt needs a cycling partner. And hello... we need a picture of the trees!

Kim Silver said...

Poor Bob.

Megan said...

Hope you feel better Bob! Way to take care of him Peg! You've got patience.

Sherree said...

Poor Bob and Poor Peg! It's no fun being the nurse unless you get to share their drugs! You could always put him in the life care center where the halls smell like pee like we did my Mom! :)

Holly and Dave said...

hang in there bob! i'll be more than happy to be his nurse- i even can do night shifts (for the right price of course)... Peg you should come hang out at the hospital and see what "difficult patient" really means!

the youngs said...

Peg...you better kiss them better!