Saturday, August 9, 2008

Olympics now and then...Bob Costas rocks!

The opening ceremonies of the olympics were hands down awesome! Beijing has out done themselves and set a standard very high. I remembered SLC's opening...I thought it was spectacular too! Then I started to remember the fun at school, the play production, the songs, and yes....my boyfriend Bob Costas calling me on the phone at school!

Here is the story:

I knew that our school Olympic Musical was fabulous...rings, torch runners, cauldron burning throughout, flags of all nations lining the sides of Viewmonts auditorium, children in the five Olympic colors, Rings, props, a slid show I created with all of the students faces shining in it, the principal ( a woman) in a tux for the night, and yes, a gi - normous flag that came down from the ceiling at the rousing patriotic song at the end!

So with my confidence that we/I are/am the best...I (my people) called Bob Costas' people. I told them (and also wrote a compelling letter) that he needed to come to our show which was one week before the Olympics. I knew he'd be in town and what a great opportunity for him to rub shoulders with the little people.

Well, everyone at school had a laugh at my expense, thought I was nuts, and chalked this letter/call off to another Peg is crazy moment.

The day of our program I was in teaching...here is the conversation as best as 6 years ago can remember.

Overhead speaker beeps into my classroom...

Jan (secretary): You have a call on line 4.

Me: Can you take a message? I am in the middle of something.

Jan: Oh, I think you want to take this call immediately. It is very important!

Me: Fine.

I walk down the hall to the little room that held the phone.

Me: Hello, this is Peg.

Bob: Hi Peg! This is Bob Costas calling. How are you?

Me: (Acting all cool, but shaking) Great! How are you doing?

Bob: Super! I got your invitation to your program tonight. I love to attend these kinds of things. It sounds like it is going to be wonderful.

Me: Stumbling, don't know what I said.

Bob: I would come, BUT, I have to meet with Mitt Romney, and the other IOC members in a huge meeting or I promise I would be there! It would be the one night I can't slip out!

Me: The fact that you called is huge to us. Thanks for being so personal.

Bob: I am staying in the blah blah hotel downtown. (Did he want a secret liasion?) Would you tape the program and drop it off at my hotel so I can watch it?

Me: Of course we will! (Shall we meet over dinner?) Thanks for your time and good luck the next two weeks.

Bob: Thanks for your hard work and tell Tolman Elementary I wish them the best of luck tonight at their program.

And then it was over...

I will always be a Bob Costas fan. I will always take important calls at the expense of my class. I will always go out on a limb for things I think are important.

10 comments:

Kid's Kitchen said...

That is AWESOME! I miss you and hope you have had a fabulous summer. I decided on my classroom theme..."Go for the Gold" -- Olympic theme!

Becky Andrews said...

Love your Olympic story! That is so cool! Thanks for sharing ... also cool to hear about Lars and the fires -- wow!

Jessie and Taylor Miller said...

Taylor just became VERY upset with me when I asked him who Bob Costas is.

Idaho Bushmans said...

Love this post. I am a huge fan of Bob's. We have loved the Olympics so far and yes the Opening was so cool. Fake fireworks and all.

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

This is pretty much the coolest story ever. I'm so jealous!! So jealous!! I've been watching it tonight and the whole time he was talking to George Bush I was thinking -- Peg talked to someone who talked to George Bush!!

Holly and Dave said...

This is one of your best stories EVER, I can't believe you haven't told me this before. Bob Costas should have sent Matt Lauer from the Today Show in his place, then you could be featured on NBC, plus get your picture with matt lauer...

Megan said...

That is such a cool story! Embarrassed to say that I didn't know who Bob Costas was so I went to wikipedia, haha. I think that is great!

Kim Silver said...

I like your blog

Sherree said...

Peg hi!! Michelle said you wanted to be added to my blog! Yeah, a new friend. email me your email. SMILL1872@aol.com I too am a Bob Costas fan...too bad he is so short. lol

The Great Lakes of NY said...

Peggy, you just make me smile or laugh, one or the other. You are so great! I loved seeing you this summer and your sweet Sig. I still think the world of you.